Googlizing a unit: Part 2

Last week I featured Googlizing a unit: Part 1, where I outlined the first part of a multidisciplinary unit that incorporates several Google apps. This week’s post features the second part of that unit, including the summative assessment at the end.

Activity 6

Once you have collected your data and created your presentations, take turns sharing them with your group members. This will allow you to evaluate the different features of each app before making a final assessment.

Activity 7

After you’ve seen how each app functions, you must rank the apps from 1-5, with one being the highest score. Add this to the last row of your shared Google Sheet.

If you think your app is the best but your group disagrees with you, defend it! Show them and have them defend the app that they think should be first.

Activity 8

Complete the Class Ranking of Presentation Apps survey. You will be required to login with your district email address.

Here were the results from this particular survey:

Screenshot of color-coded spreadsheet

Note: I used conditional formatting on this spreadsheet so that the selected cells would be populated with a particular color depending on the student’s responses. This gave them a visual way to assess which was the highest rated app.

Also, within Google Sheets I created pie charts for each app so that the students could be more specific information.

Survey ResultsNext time I do this, I will revise the survey so that the options include “I didn’t review this app.” The results for Keynote/Powerpoint were skewed because many of the students voted it as 5th because nobody in their group reviewed it.

Activity 9:

In a blog post, reflect on the process for evaluating presentation apps.

Paragraph 1:

1. Introduce this week’s project. There are many people from around the world reading our blog, so give them a brief description of the project.

Paragraph 2:

1. Why your group chose your five criteria
  2. The app that you chose to test-drive
  3. Your experience with the app: discuss how it performed for each of the five criteria, with details.
  4. At the end of this paragraph, type: Here is a link to my PRESENTATION.
  5. Hyperlink the word “presentation.”

Paragraph 3:

1. Discuss how your group came to your final ranking for the apps.
  2. Why did some people not like the app you tested?
  3. When you saw the final rankings, what were your thoughts and reactions?
  4. What is the likelihood that you will use the top-rated app in future presentations?
  5. What did you learn from this project?

Rubric

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.04.46 AM You can find the final student blog posts at our FLAGS 8 blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...